Short History of Laughlin Mill
This gristmill was built around 1763 by William Laughlin. The first mill on Big Spring, it ground wheat and other grain for the people in the surrounding countryside. To generate power to turn the grindstone, Laughlin built a dam with a six-and-a-half foot head, which provided water power equal to that of fifteen horses to turn the waterwheel. The mill was owned by the Laughlin family until 1896 and is the oldest structure in the Dutch Country Reigon.